Peri-menopause and menopause are oftentimes confused. However, there are clear differences between the two. Peri-menopause is the time around the cessation of monthly menstrual bleeding.
“Peri” can last years, and only ends after twelve consecutive months without a period. At that time, Menopause begins— it’s the total absence of menstruation. You have arrived, you’re now, menopausal.
Shame around the topic has prevented many from asking for help and getting the support needed. But any perceived stigma around peri/menopause is changing. Below we touch upon a few common symptoms, as a means to get what you need and continue normalizing this life transition.
“Human beings are not born once and for all on the day their mothers give birth to them, but ... life obliges them over and over again to give birth to themselves.” ~ Gabriel Garcia Marquez
While unscientific, there is no such thing as a second puberty, “Peri” oftentimes presents much like teen-aged puberty, with mood fluctuation being a familiar first symptom. It’s the drop in estrogen that affects mood, like sadness, irritability, anxiety, inattention, and lack of motivation—all emotions that leave you feeling not like yourself.
- Anxiety: GABA Ease GABA (Gamma-aminobutyric acid) is the primary inhibitory neurotransmitter in the central nervous system delivering, well… ease.
- Inattention: Ionic Dry Brush In addition to the uplifting effects of stimulating the skin, the molecular composition of the bristles delivers a welcome boost.
- Lack of Motivation: HRBLS Everyday Endurance An herbal blend of energy and metabolism support for daily vitality— in a tasty gummy form.
- Irritability: Boketto LAB Matcha Swap coffee L Theanine-rich matcha green tea— known for its balancing and calming effect.
- Sadness: Dr. Ohrira's Probiotics Research* has found that probiotics stopped people from ruminating so much. (Rumination is one of the most predictive vulnerability markers of depression.) *Link to Leiden Institute Research
As our bodies find their new normal, normal body functions often overcorrect, and sleep can be disturbed. Insomnia, restlessness, and bad dreams tend to rear their head at night when hormone levels tend to swing more drastically. But there are steps you can take to get a good night's rest. More good news? Peri sleep disturbances tend to taper off when you reach menopause.
- Athletes, for example, tend to be highly efficient sleepers. But even for those who aren't professional athletes, exercise can help with sleep quality and staying asleep for the recommended 8 hours.
- While sleep aids such as Copesthetic Menopause Sleep and Ancient Minerals Magnesium Lotion help ease you into dreamland, going to bed/waking up at the same time also helps your body know when it's time to get needed rest.
- Common day-to-day stress can be harder to process during peri/menopause, and some people report a newly intense dreamscape. Reducing alcohol is a biggie.
- There are several ways to address night sweats: reducing spicy food, lowering bedroom temperatures, and avoiding warm beverages at night. Adding cooling and balancing Royal Sense Bulgarian Rosewater to your H2O, supports your desire for a more comfortable night’s sleep, all day long.
Body image has a huge impact on our mental health, but most of the time the headlines concentrate on the effect a low body image can have on young people. But it hits those experiencing per/menopause, hard, too. Self-compassion is the best tool:
- Be kind and understanding to yourself during this time, as opposed to judgmental and critical
- Hold thoughts and feelings in balanced awareness, as opposed to over-identifying with them
- View peri/menopause as part of the human condition as experienced by others, as opposed to something isolating and separate.
- Sagging Face & Neck: Marie Veronique C+E Ferulic Serum provides your skin with the nutrients it needs to repair and rebuild collagen— day and night.
- Dull Skin: Monastery REI Gentle Retinol Vitamin A helps boost cellular turnover which in turn brightens skin’s appearance.
- Weight Gain: 5 Seasons TCM Smooth Digestion Frankly, weight gain is to be expected, but that doesn't mean you cannot optimize digestion making excessive gain, less likely.
- Hair Loss: Boketto LAB Hair + Scalp Oil was created with Rasananda Ayurveda to help improve scalp health, encourage growth, moisturize scalp & hair, balance oil production, and prevent early graying. And when paired with Manta Scalp Brush... chef’s kiss!