Did you avoid the over-plucking trend of the late ’90s? If so, consider yourself #blessed. Regardless, a strong brow is not only on-trend, it’s a visible reflection of brow health, too. Regardless of our brow-growth history, achieving your perfect brow shape, size, and texture doesn't happen overnight. The journey requires patience, self-control, and above all, time.
You down? Let’s kick the 90s to the curb!
What you need to know to get the brows of your dreams
- Not unlike breasts, brows are not symmetrical. Trying to match them can not only lead to over-tweezing, but results in an unnatural look.
- Growing out your brows means you gotta just let them do their thing. Let their freak flag fly. Hide your tweezers and trimmers, if necessary, and focus on grooming. To keep them well nourished and moving in the direction of your ideal… new in the shop is Rye Beauty Eyebrow Growth + Grooming Serum it’s the only tool you need.
- While you're at it, ditch the magnifying mirror. For obvious reasons.
- Brush up! Do this before grooming brows and before filling in brows as it not only gives the illusion that you've got more than what you're actually working with, but also lets you know how to (gingerly!) shape them once fully grown in.
- Keep your hairs conditioned and soft. Boketto LAB Organic Eyebrow Serum has new growth ingredients, but it truly shines in the strengthening and nourishing departments. Consistency is queen here, so leave the Serum near something you use daily, like your toothbrush, so you remember to use it.
- 6 If you fill in your brows with makeup, keep it light. Minimal hair-like strokes throughout protects your delicate eyebrow hair from cleansing— which is a good plan no matter if you’re growing brows out or not.
What TCM Has to Say
In Acupuncture one of the ways we learn what might be going on with a patient is by observation. The others are listening, asking and pulse/palpatation. In TCM, the “expression” of the eyes is a way to see the spirit.
Eyes that are…
- Shining and Clear = Good vitality of Shen (mind) & Jing (essence)
- Redness and Swelling = Acute diseases, like the flu, or… anger and anxiety concerns
- Yellow = Liver, gallstone, pancreas concerns
- Ulceration = Health of body defense, or lack thereof
- Upward or Sideways Staring = Blood and digestion concerns (serious)
- Dull or Clouded eyes = Disturbed Shen, weakened Jing. Commonly presents as long-term emotional problems
- Spots in visual field = Over stimulation, overwork
- Swelling or dark rings under eyes = Out of harmony, poor dietary habits, lack of enjoyment
Combating sleeplessness with coffee is one example of how we mask our body signals. So listen and observe yourself. When there are changes, take note. And decide to take action if the acute becomes chronic. Herbs and Acupuncture are 2 longevity practices that help keep us in balance. Body, mind, and spirit.
Sleeping Hygiene and Eyes
If you know Jelena, you know she is WILD about sleep hygiene. Its the one practice she puts above all. There are many factors that support good sleep, like diet and exercise, but also plain ol’ sleep!
Being exposed to light at bedtime can interrupt your body’s natural sleep cues. This is because artificial light suppresses melatonin, the sleep-inducing hormone in the body. Not having enough melatonin can lead to sleep issues or disorders, like insomnia.
An eye mask blocks out artificial light that can prevent you from falling asleep as well as improve your overall quality of sleep. They can also encourage you to nod off faster via the gentle pressure that acts as a cue to help trigger calm and relaxed feelings.
In the shop, we have two sleep masks for perfect for midday naps and a solid 8 hours at night. And to suit your personal preference.
GREAT FOR SENSITIVE SKIN The Binchotan Charcoal Eye Mask by Morihata is made of satin, organic cotton, and charcoal powder. At Boketto we use this mask to help relieve fatigue by easing tension and pressure around the eyes and employing the benefits of activated charcoal.
BEST FOR BRINGING ON SLEEP Willow Knows Eye Pillow these gorgeous, therapeutic soft sculptures are made with hand-dyed silks, individually dyed— making each one-of-a-kind. Inside is a blend of organic herbs of lavender (relaxing), chamomile (soothing), and rose (cooling), rice, and buckwheat, encouraging sleep with gentle pressure and soothing aromatherapy.
How to get the brow of our dreams:
- Wash your face and dry it with a towel.
- Apply the oil, so it covers your entire eyebrows— the bristles of the wand makes this easy and also gives the skin a wee massage. For best results, leave an Eyebrow Serum on overnight, but 20-30 minutes is enough for it to work.
- Brush hairs upward to emphasize your natural brow shape— only plucking hairs that fall well under the brow, if at all.
- Starting from the front of the brow, working outwards with your fingers to shape them in a feathered or smooth look.
- You can seal it with a waxy-product, like Boketto LAB Lip Care.