October 26, 2019
The Kitchari Cleanse
Kitchari is the traditional cleansing food of Ayurveda and means "mixture." It supports "digestive fire" or agni, which is believed to be the key to health. When we can properly digest our food, we can experience life at its fullest by "digesting" experiences— thus, achieving holistic health.
Benefits of Kitchari include:
- easy to digest + anti-inflammatory
- removes toxins from your intestinal lining
- provides energy + mental clarity
- it’s a complete protein
- supports de-aging of cells
- nourishes all bodily tissue
Ingredients1/2 cup moong dal, split mung beans
1/2 cup Basmati rice
4 cups water
1 tablespoon ghee, coconut oil or avocado oil for vegan-friendly
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1/2 teaspoon minced fresh ginger, or a pinch of ground ginger powder
1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Want to kick it up a notch? Replace the oil with Goddess Ghee "Mushroom Magic" for an added earthy element &/or add a tablespoon of Dark Horse "Umami Powder" for a savory finish.
- In a medium bowl, combine the rice and moong dal. Pour enough water to cover the mixture and soak for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, pour the mixture into a fine mesh strainer and rinse with cold water until it runs clear.
- Warm the oil or ghee on medium-low heat in a medium pot. Carefully add the cumin seeds and let them cook for about a minute until the seeds start to brown and become fragrant. Add the ginger and ground turmeric.
- Add the rice and dal mixture into the pot. Season with sea salt and black pepper.
- Stir and add the 4 cups of water.
- Increase the heat to medium-high to bring the mixture to a gentle boil. Turn the heat down immediately to a gentle simmer. Simmer for 30 minutes, uncovered, stirring occasionally until you get a porridge-like consistency. It should be soft and creamy.
- Taste the kitchari to make sure the texture is soft. If not, you may need to let it cook a little longer. Turn off the heat and adjust the seasoning, if needed, and stir again. Serve or cool down completely and refrigerate in a sealed container for 3 days.
Image and recipe via Real + Vibrant.