Photography by Allie Hemmings
According to Ayurveda, India’s system of traditional medicine, each season has its own group of qualities. During summertime, have you noticed craving nutrient-rich smoothies? This is to soothe excess pitta. Composed of the elements fire and water, pitta is oily, hot, light, spreading, and liquid: Think humidity.
However during fall, our bodies favor warming tonics and broths to pacify vata. Characterized by dryness, mobility, lightness, and coolness— Think nourishing, warm, grounding practices. Steamed vegetables, hearty grains, organic meat, bone broths, soups, and stews that are deeply grounding and moisturizing keep the internal systems running smoothly— including our hormones.
Gut bacteria plays a major role in estrogen metabolism, in which case bone broth (rich in collagen and other minerals such as glutamine) helps to soothe and heal the gut, creating an optimal environment for building a healthy microbiome that can efficiently balance levels of estrogen. Lacy Phillips of To Be Magnetic shares “… bone broth has been the most important aspect of balancing my hormones. It is literally the wonder supplement due to how liver fortifying, adrenal nourishing, and mineral rich it is. It’s brought my thin lifeless hair back to thick long life. It’s toned up my skin after so much collagen has suffered during this hormone rollercoaster, and it's boosted my immune system beyond belief.”
To stir up a special adaptogen-infused bone broth, we tapped Personal Chef Allie Hemmings, who found that incorporating animal protein back into her diet has also helped to support balanced hormones and regular menstrual cycles. Hormonal health is one of her main focuses in eating, and in this specific recipe, Allie infuses her beef broth with Stamets 7, a blend of seven mushroom species (Royal Sun Blazei, Cordyceps, Reishi, Maitake, Lion’s Mane, Chaga and Mesima) supports general immunity, but also femme health and the aging process. Warming up a cup of this nutrient-rich bone broth and sipping it on an empty stomach as soon as you rise is a wonderful way to enjoy warmth and plentiful nourishment first thing in the morning.
Hormone Balancing Bone Broth
Bone broth and mushrooms are independently two nutritional powerhouses. Bring them together and they are sure to boost immunity, sooth digestion, and strengthen a multitude of bodily functions.
Depending on the size of your stockpot, you may need to adjust measurements accordingly. Feel free to include a variety of bones, to add even more flavor.
- 5 quarts filtered water
- 2-3 lbs beef marrow or knuckle bones
- 1 bone-in beef shank
- 2 Scoops Stamets 7 Mushroom Mycelium Powder
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced in half (skin on)
- ¼ cup Pineapple Collaborative ACV Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons preferred whole spices (coriander, cumin, caraway, and anise are some favorites)
- 1 teaspoon whole peppercorns
- 1 scoop of Goddess Ghee Traditional Ghee
- Combine all ingredients in a 7-qt crockpot or large stockpot and bring to a boil on high heat. Lower to a simmer and cook for at least 12 hours or up to 48 hours, for a more potent broth. If you choose to simmer for more than a day, you may need to add more water, as it begins to evaporate.
- Allow broth to cool slightly before straining through a fine mesh strainer. Discard the bones and strained bits. Pour the broth into jars with tight-fitting lids and store in the fridge for up to a week or in the freezer for up to 6 months.
Makes about 2 ½ quarts
Note: Boketto understands that a vegan and plant-based lifestyle is a conscious decision that works for many, while others find that animal-based protein included in their diet is more sustainable and beneficial to their overall wellbeing. We carry products that cater to all dietary lifestyles and preferences and strive to be a local platform and destination that caters openly to all, towards the betterment of one's individual wellbeing.