Stress is an unavoidable part of life. Stress on the mind, the body, the spirit— creating the momentum necessary to move through life in this society is taxing on every level. With grace and gratitude, we are offering a simple solution: practicing the art of meditation. Meditation is an Eastern concept. At Boketto, we are endlessly inspired by ancient wisdom, whether it be Ayurvedic, Buddhist, or Japanese— we often look towards the East to untie our Western knots.
Taking even just 5-10 minutes in the morning to meditate can change the pacing of your entire day. Learning to meditate is a journey, and Boketto is here to help you begin on a new and mindful path. We've compiled a small guide to help you begin your meditation journey:
1. Find a quiet and comfortable place. Sit in a chair or on the floor with your head, neck, and back straight but not stiff. It's also helpful to wear comfortable clothing so you're no distracted.
2. Try to put aside all thoughts of the past and the future and focus on the present.
3. Become aware of your breath, attuning to the sensation of air moving in and out of your body as you breathe. Feel your belly rise and fall and the air enter your nostrils and leave your mouth. Pay attention to the way each breath changes and is different.
4. Watch every thought come and go, whether it be a worry, fear, anxiety, or hope. When thoughts come up in your mind, don't ignore or suppress them. Simply note them, remain calm, and use your breathing as an anchor.
(If you find yourself getting carried away in your thoughts, observe where your mind went off to, without judgment, and just return to your breathing. Remember not to be hard on yourself if this happens.)
5. As the time comes to a close, sit for a minute or two, becoming aware of where you are. Get up gradually.
We are excited to host a meditate and restore workshop with yoga instructor Olivia Yohai. Join us at Boketto Wellness on December 18, 7:30-8:45 pm to relax, rest, and rejuvenate. Bring your body and a yoga mat, leave with a new sense of self.
Sign up here.